A school meal costs £2.50 unless you have a child in reception, year 1 or year 2 or are entitled to free school meals.
We would encourage parents of children in all year groups from reception to year 6 to complete an application if they think they are entitled to free school meals. This is because it not only provides your child with a healthy and nutritious hot meal but also brings additional direct funding into the school. This is known as pupil premium funding and currently has a value of £1300 per child for a period of 6 years even if the entitlement to free school meals is no longer valid. Schools can use this funding to provide additional learning support and it is extremely important in helping us to maintain our current levels of learning. More information can be read about how we use our pupil premium funding here.
Parents/carers in receipt of the following benefits will be entitled to receive free school meals:
- Income-based & Contribution-based JSA or ESA on an equal basis
- Income Support (IS)
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Income-related employment and support allowance (IRESA)
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, that does not exceed £16,190
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also allowed to receive Free School Meals.
Applying for Free School Meals:
Phone: Parents/Carers can ring the Education Helpline on 0345 155 1019.
How to Apply